Thursday, September 24, 2009

Draw Near and Tiger Woods


Sorry for being so long since my last post. I don't sit in front of a computer at work so I have to find time at home. Today I am heading to work later, so I thought I would post what's been on my heart lately.

My church is doing a 50 day experiment of Faith. For 50 days the whole church and all its groups are studying five aspects of faith in an effort to draw near to God. They include daily prayer, bible reading, service, community, and worship. It has been a challenge for me to keep up, but I have made a commitment to see it through to deepen my faith.

Today as I took Beau to mommy's day out, I was thinking about having a strong faith, and how much the world view of Christians is changing. I truly believe in my life time you will have to either stand up for your faith or deny that you believe in God. With politics becoming more and more against the values of Christians, I think it is time for the church to get out of politics and get to what really matters developing stronger believers.

I have always thought that believers shouldn't force their beliefs on others through political channels, never has worked, never will. Still how do we spread the message I believe to be true for all?

Then it hit me, Tiger Woods. Think about this, Tiger would never be the golfer he is today if he had not been "sold out" on golf. I have heard the stories of the hours and hours he spent training at a young age. He and his dad knew to be the best you must practice and practice a lot to get better. Look at anyone who is the best at what they do, they didn't get there by giving it a little bit of time each week, or thinking about it, or taking about it. They got to where they are by working at it. So then why if everything takes time and effort to be successful, do we think our faith will be strong without any work.

I grew up on a farm, my allowance was simple, if I wanted money for something I asked my family what I could do for it. Funny how it always seemed to be picking up rocks in the fields, but it did instill in me a strong work ethic. However I have this ethic in work, but not in my faith journey.

So as I continue in this 50 day experiment of faith, I'm going to work at it, make it a priority. I want my faith to be strong, to be the best it can be. I know that nothing in this world matters more than my faith and belief in God, and for too long you'd never know it by my actions.
So each day for the next 40 I will be working on my Faith and my relationship with God.

Then who knows I may even try to become better at golf, nah I rather go fishing. peace and love Big B

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Keep the faith!
    Hugs to you and yours. Angel D. Tilley

    ReplyDelete