Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Easter The bunny and those darn Cadberry eggs



I'll admit it, I love Cadberry Cream Eggs. My wife gave me this addiction, and every year we look forward to the time when those eggs pop up in the grocery store. There must be at least a thousand calories in each one of those things, but I can't help it I love them.

I still can't understand how a celebration of the Resurrection has anything to do with eggs, or how eggs come from a bunny, still I do love them. While enjoying an egg last night it got me to thinking how we as a society can distort and modify anything to it what we want it to be.

As we approach the days when we will have to explain why eggs come from a bunny during Easter to our son, I thought how am I going to explain what Easter means to my son. As I pondered these thoughts and how in my infinite wisdom I would be able to explain this concept to my son. I thought was does it really mean to me.

In this day and age if you claim to be a Christian, you open yourself up to almost immediate stereotyping. I work in an environment with a lot of non-believers, for those that don't know I am the manager of a large wine store in Joplin MO. Even though I consider myself to be a believer, many people doubt this because of the work that I do. And that is my point, I remember in grade school going to UM Kids, and Mrs Betty King held up a piece of white paper with one little dot in the center of the page. She asked a simple question, What do you see? Of course we all said a dot, and then she explain the parable of the splinter in our brothers eye and the log in ours. It always stuck with me, judge not and you will not be judged.

So what do eggs and bunnies have to do with anything. Well I came to the conclusion that the only way people will know the truth about all this stuff is to live a life worthy of the sacrifice that Jesus made for all of us. Can you imagine if we all have a sacrificial faith? What if we lived our lives like we had a debt to pay back to someone. A debt so large that it would take a lifetime to repay. Everyday we would have to go out into the world and make payments. Never to be able to even to get close to paying off the debt. Well that is how I see my faith and my life. I am indebted to Christ to live a life worthy of his sacrifice for me.

So when that days comes to explain all of this to Beau, I hope and pray that he will understand that eggs don't come from bunnies, and Easter is not about chocolate eggs. And by my example he will understand that Easter is about Sacrifice and that we will forever be in debt to live a life worthy of the greatest sacrifice of all.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging "Big Skinny". I look forward to your blogs and I am sure I will get a kick out of them. I keep praying for you that you can continue to see the needs of those around you at work. You have such a great opportunity to express Christ in even the simplist ways. Congrats on #2... man to man is great defense.

    ReplyDelete